This article may contain affiliate links. please check out my policy!
Ultimate comfort food that can be ready in 30 minutes? Yes please! Cheesy, savory and full of flavor and perfect for using up that bountiful harvest of zucchini squash. This cheesy plant-based zucchini sausage bake is the best option for a chilly night in!
I was gifted giant, watermelon-sized zucchini squash (courgettes for my readers across the pond!), and let me tell you I was really unsure of what to do with such massive veggies! I knew for sure I wanted to shred most of it and freeze it for later recipes -and boy do I have some recipes brewin' up in my brain hole-
My brainstorming led me to this incredible casserole that I now just want to make every few days -it makes enough to last a few days- And it's perfect for using up leftover rice.
This recipe also uses my delicious plant based-sausage crumbles!
Enough jibber jabbin! Let's get to what you came here for!
This recipe is pretty great for using up some things like leftover rice.
You can use any type of vegan cheese you want, I used violife for this particular recipe.
While I use my own plant-based sausage crumbles, you can use any vegan ground meat you want. Such as beyond, impossible, gardein, boca, etc. All are great options.
See recipe card for quantities.
Preheat oven to 350F / 180C
Step One - Dice up zucchini into small even chunks.
Step Two - Place chopped zucchini into a bake safe dish (I am using a dutch oven). Cook on medium high heat until zucchini starts to become charred and soft - about 5-6 minutes.
Step Three - Add in plant-based ground, mix and cook for another few minutes.
Step Four - Add in the cooked rice and mix around. If you find some sticking happening on the bottom, just add a smidgen of water to de-glaze.
Step Five - After mixing in the rice and letting everything come back up to temp, add in a handful of cheese shreds (or at least ½ cup of whatever cheese you decide to use) and mix it in.
Step Six - Add in any extra seasonings you wish to use. I added in garlic powder and a pinch of salt and mixed that around.
Step Seven - Add a layer of cheese shreds to the top and place into the oven, covered, to bake for 20 minutes.
Spray the cheese with water so that it melts a bit better. Vegan cheese tends not to melt as well as dairy-based cheese, but with a sprinkle/spray of water, it should melt a little better!
Why is this recipe so great?
- Naturally Gluten-free
- A great way to mask a vegetable for picky younger ones
This casserole bake will work with just about any vegetable you throw at it,
- Different veggies - Got an abundance of other vegetables? Carrots, butternut squash (any squash really), pumpkin, etc.
- Change out the rice - You can use brown rice or quinoa and even pasta.
- Soy Free - Use a soy-free mince like beyond meat.
Refrigerator - Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days
Freezer - Store in an airtight container or bag for up to 3 months
Reheat - Can be reheated via the microwave or oven (or even stove top). If pulling from frozen, allow to thaw naturally in the refrigerator first.
Check out some of my other recipes!
Cheesy Vegan Zucchini Sausage Casserole
- 1 Knife
- 3 cups zucchini squash diced
- 1 plant-based sausage recipe
- 2-3 cups cooked rice
- ½ Tablespoon garlic powder optional
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups shredded vegan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 °F or 180 °C
- Dice evenly, a large or several zucchini to make around 3 cups.3 cups zucchini squash
- Heat a bit of oil to the bottom of a dutch oven pan on medium-high heat and then add all zucchini and cook until the zucchini is soft and starting to char a bit.3 cups zucchini squash
- Next, add in the plant sausage or whatever you are using and mix it around well.1 plant-based sausage recipe
- Then, add in the rice and mix well again. If you find things are starting to stick a little bit, just add a bit of water and de-glaze the pot.2-3 cups cooked rice
- At this time add in any seasonings you'd like to add. The plant-sausage I use has most of the flavor so I only add a little bit of garlic powder and a pinch of salt. You may use other flavors, especially if using a different mince.½ Tablespoon garlic powder, pinch of salt
- Mix in a cup of cheese shreds, then top the mixture with another cup. Cover and place in the oven for 20 minutes.2 cups shredded vegan cheese
- Serve and enjoy!
- Add any seasonings you wish, especially if using a different mince.
- Use any vegetable that can cook up like zucchini, such as other types of squash, or carrots. Mushrooms are also encouraged.
Need an idea of what to share in a comment? Share any substitutions you made that worked well so that anyone else reading can gain some knowledge in case they run into issues. Comment just to say you've tried it and if you liked it, or If you did not enjoy, or had an issue. Other readers can benefit from you! You can also leave a comment just to tell me you plan on trying it, I don't mind! Be sure to also leave a rating with your comment. Every little bit helps me bring you more delicious vegan recipes! Any rude, non-constructive comments will not be accepted. Thank you.
Leave a Reply