Crisp, refreshing coleslaw made without dairy. The perfect compliment side dish to your BBQ sandwiches or tacos! It also only takes 5 minutes to make so it's ready any time you need a quick side!
There's just something amazing about a creamy coleslaw paired with a sloppy BBQ sandwich of some sort. Long ago it used to be the "p" word, but these days I love having this coleslaw with one of my thick BBQ soy curl sandwiches.
Another way I enjoy this slaw is shoved inside of a tortilla with some vegan fish, crisp lettuce, tomatoes and maybe some gaucamole!
I bet you wanna make this now, don't you?
I am using a pre-cut mixed bag of coleslaw that I bought from the store for this recipe, but you are welcome to slice up a head of cabbage fresh.
I am using vinegar for this recipe, but you can use lemon juice
Please see recipe card for exact quantities.
Step One - Add the mayo, celery seed, sugar and salt.
Step Two - Add in the lemon juice.
Step Three - Mix well and taste to see if anything needs adjusted.
Step Four - Add in the cabbage coleslaw mix and fold it into the mayo dressing.
While this recipe can be an easy 5 minute one and done and eaten right away, it truly is more flavorful after marinating a little while. If you can help it, let it sit in the refrigerator from 4 hours to over night.
Refrigerator - Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days. The coleslaw will get watery and the purple cabbage may bleed into the sauce and cause it to discolor.
Freezer - Do not freeze this recipe. Cabbage does not freeze well to use in regular dishes. Maybe for stock, though?
Dairy Free Coleslaw
- 1 bowl
- 1 spoon or spatula
- 1 8oz bag of coleslaw mix - Or 8 oz of a head of cabbage shredded.
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon sugar - more or less to desired sweetness
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tablespoon celery seed - more or less to desired taste.
- In a medium bowl throw in all ingredients aside from the coleslaw or cabbage.1 cup vegan mayo,1 Tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice,1 Tablespoon sugar,pinch of salt,1 Tablespoon celery seed
- Add the cabbage mix and fold everything together.1 8oz bag of coleslaw mix
- Store in the fridge or consume right away and enjoy!
- Storage - Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Do not freeze or heat.
- Best if left to marinate for 4 hours to overnight, but okay to eat right away.
- Adjust sugar, salt and celery seed to your tastes. Start with a little then work up.
- Feel free to swap vinegar for lemon juice.
Need an idea of what to share in a comment? Share any substitutions you made that worked well so that anyone else reading can gain some knowledge in case they run into issues. Comment just to say you've tried it and if you liked it, or If you did not enjoy, or had an issue. Other readers can benefit from you! You can also leave a comment just to tell me you plan on trying it, I don't mind! Be sure to also leave a rating with your comment. Every little bit helps me bring you more delicious vegan recipes! Any rude, non-constructive comments will not be accepted. Thank you.