This article may contain affiliate links. please check out my policy!
This mock chicken salad is the real deal! Legitimately tastes exactly like a classic chicken salad, and there's no cooking involved! You'll have a hard time keeping this salad around long, it's so good it'll be gone in seconds!
Soy curls come through again and are transformed into this super flavorful salad that gives the classic version a run for its... money? Well, let's just say that if you served this without saying anything, people will definitely think it's real chicken.
Earlier in the month I compiled a list of amazing vegan sandwiches as well as lunches, and I realized other mock chicken salads use chickpeas as the main ingredient, while delicious of course, I wanted something that mimics chicken a bit better.
Don't worry, chickpeas, I still love you!
This vegan chicken salad is perfect because:
- It's vegan
- It's naturally gluten-free
- It really does taste just like a chicken salad!
Swap bell peppers for onions - I can't have onions so I use bell peppers in their place.
The chicken-flavored seasoning is a combination of spices like a dry bouillion powder or cube. You can swap for individual seasonings such as garlic powder, onion powder, marjoram, and other "chicken" seasonings. Alternatively, you can also use veggie stock or mix bouillion in warm water to achieve the same flavors.
See recipe card for quantities.
Step One - Take dry soy curls and place them into a bowl. You can take this time to break up the larger pieces, or you can cut them after they've softened. Add your chicken-flavor seasoning or seasonings.
Step Two - Add water until it just covers the soy curls.
Step Three - Mix everything together and set aside.
Step Four - Cut your veggies. I'm using celery and bell peppers, you can use any other veggies you want. I tend to like smaller dices, again, however you like.
Step Five - To a bowl, add the mayo, mustard, sugar, vinegar, salt, and dill.
Step Six - Mix it all together! Set aside.
Step Seven - Back to the soy curls! Drain them and squeeze excess water from them.
Step Eight - Cut your soy curls into small pieces.
Step Nine - Add the soy curls, mayo sauce, and veggies to the bowl.
Step Ten - Mix it all together and serve!
Use a food processor to cut up the soy curls for a much easier process once they're softened. Especially if you have issues with your hands.
This vegan chicken salad is pretty versatile and accommodating to your tastes:
- Need Soy-free? Your best bet would be to use chickpeas in this case.
- Onions - While I use bell peppers in this salad, you can use onions if you like them.
- Make your own mayo - Don't want to use a commercial mayonaise? It's easy to make your own!
Wanna change it up a bit? I've got some great variations you can try:
- Spicy - Add some jalapenos to the mix for the perfect spicy concoction!
- Tropical - Add pineapple! I dare you! No seriously, what a twist!
- Super classic - Add raisins, cranberries, or grapes!
Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
I do not recommend freezing this salad.
Frequently Asked Questions
Soy curls! Other options include; Tofu, chickpeas, processed bought products from known brands, beans, tempeh, etc.
Check out some of my other delicious lunch-friendly recipes!
Vegan Chicken Salad (using Soy Curls)
- 1 large bowl
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 Strainer
- 1 Knife
- 1 food processor optional
- 300 grams soy curls Equal to about 3 cups.
- 3 tablespoons chicken flavored seasoning can use own seasonings as well.
- 2 cups water more or less if needed; just to cover soy curls.
- 1 whole bell pepper any color is fine
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 ½ cups vegan mayo
- 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard can sub Dijon mustard.
- 1 Tablespoon sugar optional
- pinch of salt to tastes.
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon dried dill can sub for fresh, and also add more if desired.
- Start by putting the soy curls into a bowl with the chicken-flavored seasoning (or your own mix of seasonings) and cover with water just to the top of the soy curls and set aside. (if using veggie stock, just use that)300 grams soy curls, 3 tablespoons chicken flavored seasoning, 2 cups water
- Next, start dicing up the veggies, in this case the bell pepper and celery and set aside.1 whole bell pepper, 1 stalk celery
- Move on to making the mayo sauce, and mix everything together. Set aside.1 ½ cups vegan mayo, 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard, 1 Tablespoon sugar, pinch of salt, 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar, 1 Tablespoon dried dill
- Drain the soy curls and squeeze excess water from them, then roughly chop them on a cutting board, or in a food processor.
- Add everything into a large bowl, mix well, and serve!
- Use onions in place of bell peppers if you'd like.
- Sugar is always optional, some people prefer a more "sour" tasting salad.
- Get creative and add other elements to this salad, make it spicy, add a fruit like grapes or cranberries. Add another crunchy factor like walnuts or pecans! You can even add some vegan cheese shreds to give it extra flair.
Leave a Reply