Crunchy, crisp cucumbers with a tangy sour cream dressing is the perfect side to any main meal, especially during the warm summer months!
I really only know anything about this salad because of my mother. She made this a lot during the weekends, which typically uses onions, however, I have opted to use a cabbage slaw mix for convenience and less chance of cutting myself.
Why you'll love this salad:
- Super customizable
- Perfect side to any meal
I recommend tofutti sour cream or forager.
You are welcome to go with the traditional onions and forego the coleslaw mix.
Step One - Peel the cucumbers. If you decide against peeling, I recommend salting and marinating the cucumbers to soften them a bit.
Step Two - Slice the cucumbers thinly. Either with a knife or using a mandolin or food processor.
Step Three - Add in the vegan sour cream
Step Four - Add in everything else.
- Consume within 5 days, really before that but not 6, because that's just pushing it. Are you my husband? Because he would.
- An ingredient that I did not use, but should have used, and I don't know why I did not use, is DILL! By all means, add dill. Fresh, dried, fake?, whatever.
- Get even more creative! You can add bell peppers, celery or any other crunchy veggie you wish!
- Feel free to leave the sour cream out entirely! I often leave it out myself or I'll add it to individual servings. Sometimes I find that my salad lasts a little longer without it.
- Do not freeze.
- This salad goes well with: Burgers or sandwiches, rice (without the sour cream added), or as a side to any get togethers and of course, if you're like me, you can eat it just by itself, no one said dinner couldn't be a full bowl of cucumber salad.
Be sure to check out some other delicious salads!
❓Frequently Asked Questions
Traditional cucumber salad contains cucumbers and onions, usually white onions, however, you can use red onions to give some color! You also do not have to use onions, you can use cabbage slaw, bell peppers, celery, or any other crunchy veggie that would pair well in this salad!
It can be! Cucumbers are inherently healthy, they contain tons of nutrients and of course water content so you're getting the best of both worlds! The only ingredient that may keep this from being 100% healthy is sour cream/yogurt.
Vegan Cucumber Salad
- gloves (optional)
- Wash and peel the cucumbers.2 cucumbers
- Cut into thin slices.2 cucumbers
- In a bowl, add the sliced cucumbers, sour cream and vinegar. Mix well. (To make this easier, mix the vinegar and sour cream together first to make it little easier to work with.)2 cucumbers,¼ cup vegan sour cream,1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Mix in all other ingredients.1 Tablespoon sugar,1 12 0z bag of coleslaw mix,Pinch of salt
- Serve and enjoy!
- If you want to keep the peel, marinate in salt to soften up the cucumbers if the peel is too hard for some.
- Can't have sour cream? - You don't need it. Just use a little more vinegar. Truth be told, sometimes I don't have sour cream and will totally omit it.
- Refrigerate - Up to 5 days.
- Do not freeze
Originally posted November 11, 2021, updated Sept 9th 2022