Looking for a delicious and satisfying vegan casserole recipe? Try this meatless tatortot casserole, made with crispy tater tots, your favorite protein, and delicious seasonings. Topped off with your favorite vegan cheese shreds. It's the perfect comfort food for a cozy dinner at home!
Another nostalgic meal from my childhood that I have successfully veganized and now I'm ready to share it with everyone!
You could very easily add veggies to this if you want. I decided to keep it simple with just the meat and potatoes (and cheese of course!)
If you're looking for more of a mushroom soup mixture for this, my super hearty cream of mushroom soup will pair with this so well!
And if you are looking for more tator tot recipes, check out my super yummy, meatleass potato stew!
All Ingredients: Shredded carrots, all purpose flour, olive oil, plant-based milk, egg substitute, baking soda, ground cinnamon, and brown sugar.
You can use any vegan ground meat option here. I am using Target's own line of plant based ground, but you could use soy curls, tvp, or any other popular frozen brand such as impossible or beyond.
I am using potato starch for this recipe so that it holds together when you scoop it from the dish. I like a casserole that holds together, don't you? If you don't have potato starch, you could try some regular all purpose flour. That should help keep it together well enough, but it will make this recipe not gluten-free, too.
Of course, use any vegan milk alternative you have on hand. Just make sure it isn't sweetened.
Please see recipe card below for exact measurements.
Step One - Brown up your plant ground and add any seasonings you plan to add. In this case it will be garlic powder and paprika, plus salt and pepper.
Step Two - Once the meat has browned, add in the potato starch and mix around.
Step Three - Next add in the plant milk and veggie stock, mix well and everything should thicken up quite nicely.
Step Four - Spread the mixture into a greased baking dish.
Step Five - Sprinkle vegan cheese shreds on top of the meat layer.
Step Six - Layer your tator tots however you wish, then top with one more layer of shredded cheese.
👩🏻🍳Cook's Top Tip
I recommend covering your casserole with foil to get the cheese to melt nicely, then broil afterwards for a crispy topping.
Refrigerator - In an airtight container, or wrap baking dish with foil/wrap and place in fridge for up to 5 days.
Freezer - Place in an airtight container, or wrap individual squares in plastic and freeze for up to 3 months.
Reheat - Reheat in an oven, microwave, or air fryer/convection oven.
Check out some other delicious vegan casseroles!
If you've tried this recipe and enjoyed it, I would love it if you could rate it 5⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ and leave a comment! It's a great, and free way to support me!
Simple Vegan Tator Tot Casserole
- 1 baking dish
- 1 frying pan
- 1 spoon or spatula
- 1 bag frozen tator tots I used ore-ida crowns for my recipe.
- 1 package plant based ground meat I used Target's brand.
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar optional
- ½ cup veggie stock
- ¼ cup plant milk I am using oat milk.
- 1 Tablespoon potato starch
- ½ package shredded vegan cheese I am using violife.
- pinch of salt & pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F or 180 °C
- In a skillet on medium high heat, brown your plant based ground of choice1 package plant based ground meat
- Add in any seasonings and mix around, then add potato starch and mix around again until everything is well incorporated.1 Tablespoon garlic powder, 1 Tablespoon paprika, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 Tablespoon potato starch, pinch of salt & pepper
- Next add in the milk and veggie stock and turn the heat down slightly. The liquid should start to thicken up from the starch.½ cup veggie stock, ¼ cup plant milk
- Once everything is well mixed, grease a baking dish and then add the ground meat filling to the dish and spread it out evenly.
- Sprinkle a handful of vegan shredded cheese evenly across the top.½ package shredded vegan cheese
- Place tator tots how you would like over the top of the cheese and meat layer, then sprinkle another handful of cheese evenly over the top.1 bag frozen tator tots, ½ package shredded vegan cheese
- Cover your dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Then broil on high the last 5. Keeping an eye the cheese does not burn.
- Serve and enjoy!
- You can sub AP flour for the potato starch, but that will make it not gluten-free if you need it to be.
- Feel free to use any plant milk and any plant based meat that you have available.
- Storage - can be kept in the refrigerator covered for up to 5 days. Freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat in the oven, microwave, or air fryer.
This recipe was uploaded March 2023 and has been updated Sept 2023.
What's up! My name is Bree, and I run this kitchen! I love sharing my recipes with you and I hope you enjoy them. You can follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, or Tumblr. Get to know more about me and this site if you'd like. Thanks, bud!