Welcome to Planty of Eats! I hope you stick around and check out my site, but first, I would like to introduce myself:
I am the recipe developer, writer, designer, and photographer of Planty of Eats. I also have tons of other little hobbies ... a jack of all trades master of none type of deal, y'know? I have 25+ years of experience in the food industry, so, I guess you could say I know how to cook some things 😊
I grew up out in the middle of nowhere in western Ohio around fields, farming and animals and all that comes with that. I didn't like a lot of the things that went on surrounding animal agriculture, but I was too afraid to speak up in the 80's and 90's and it took me much too long to open my eyes.
I have been Vegan for 12 years and it was not a change that I made overnight. I know there are people who can do that, and I think that's fantastic!
There's usually a lot of controversy going around the community about what being vegan even really means, but I tend to stick to the main meaning in that we all just do the best we possibly can because perfection doesn't exist.
We do not all have the same access to things, especially food things which keep us alive.
The motto "fed is best" comes to mind.
I have a husband who is the literal best. I know that sounds pretty biased, but let me tell you 🥰 THE BEST. Been together 18 years.
We currently reside in the sunny desert of Las Vegas, Nevada!
Two other adults in this world call me their parent.
We have two rescue dogs, Junie (the golden girl) and Lucy (the black and white girl). We also have a grand dog named Kol! (Not pictured)
When I'm not in the kitchen, I'm probably playing video games. A little less often I crochet, paint, draw, write, or what have you. I also enjoy being outside a lot. Just being in the nature, you know?
Other random and cool facts about me
- I am Audhd. I used to hide it, but I don't anymore. I am proudly me but I am also a mess.
- If anyone wonders what my personality is like, my husband says I am silly and driven. I think he means obsessive because I hyper focus masterfully.
- I am ridiculously clumsy and can often be heard muttering "stupid hands".
- I have three tattoos, and if it weren't for the costs, I'd be covered in them.
- I am an avid fan of anything Fallout related. Apocalypse, dystopia, etc. I'm also really happy to be living in the Wasteland if you know you know!
- I would consider myself a Maximalist. I want to be surrounded by alllll of the things and colors, but organized neatly.
- I was once served a 5-course vegan meal by a stupid redneck (his words!) in South Carolina named Allen. <3 Allen you're great, dude, the food was amazinnnnnng!!!
Why did I choose the name Planty Of Eats?
It was my attempt at being clever and punny. But it also really represents what my site is about, honestly. It's about plants made into many foods!
What does this website offer?
Fully vegan recipes for people who don't have access to fancier ingredients. I aim to offer vegan recipes that are easy to make for people in food deserts, or small towns without good vegan options. As someone who has grown up, and lived in small towns or in the middle of no where, I know how hard is when your only options sometimes are frozen, processed foods and no fresh produce.
My recipes are for everyone, non-vegans, new vegans, seasoned vegans who are just looking for new recipes to add to their rotation, you name it. Everyone should be able to make and enjoy any recipe offered on this website.
I do also offer allergen-friendly recipes such as Gluten-free, Soy-free, and Nut free. If a recipe is neither of those, I always offer a substitution in the recipe cards and in post. And just to cover all of my bases, every recipe on this site will always be free of: dairy, eggs, and any/all animal based products.
If you're looking for:
- Easy vegan recipes.
- Executive dysfunction meals. (working on a book for this!)
- Recipes with easy to find, cheap ingredients.
- 30-minute vegan recipes.
- Healthy-ish vegan recipes- I am not a nutritionist -
- Comforting vegan recipes.
- Gluten-free vegan recipes - Not all recipes on this site are GF
- Allergen-friendly recipes - soy free, nut free, etc (not all are).
- Delicious, easy vegan desserts, breakfasts, dinners, snacks, appetizers, etc.
- Helpful information if you are new to being vegan or even just plant-based eating.
- Printable meal planners or other neat printable planners and lists.
...then, you are exactly where you need to be!
What will you NOT find on this website?
I tend to stay away from expensive nuts, like cashews or macadamia because those are not accessible to everyone, plus, they're really expensive in most places.
You will not see me call vegan a "diet" here, because being vegan is not a diet, it's an ethical lifestyle that goes beyond food.
While I may offer recipes that fit a specific "diet" or popular food fad, I simply do not offer "dieting" advice or anything to do with it.
If you have to watch what you consume, I recommend checking labels of the food you are eating and consult with professionals about what is best for you. I do place nutritional labels on all of my recipes, however, because they are generated online by a free service, the accuracy may not be proven. The nutrition labels do not take other factors into account such as brand differences and other additions. They are meant only as a basic guideline.
As always, you are ultimately responsible for your own health, and if you must be accurate, you should discuss your meal plans with your certified dietician or doctor.
Additionally, I also do not throw out recipes left and right. I post my recipes once I feel they are worthy of sharing. That means after I've tested and tried and I've served it to my husband or anyone at least 4 different times and I know that each time it's a success and it tastes the same if not better each time. Sometimes this can take a couple of weeks to a couple of months.
While I am constantly updating things and working behind the scenes, you can be sure that the recipes on this site will be good.
Planty of Eats is not responsible for what you choose to consume nor any injuries from your appliances. Hey, I live in the US, anything is possible so I'm just covering my behind.