Want a crunchy topping for your soups, salads or even just a crispy snack with just a couple of ingredients? These super crispy fried wonton strips are that topping or snack! Plus, there are air-frying instructions if you want to keep this exactly one ingredient!
This recipe was inspired by my first prep/line cook job. I am not 100% sure if this was made up by them or if they got it from somewhere else, but these things were 90% of my diet back when I worked there! Shout out to Lisa, my old boss! I know she follows me on Facebook, but I don't know if she reads me posts, haha.
I recently made a delicious taco soup and immediately wanted to top it with these crunchy goodies and share it with everyone! But don't just stop at topping soups, you can top salads, or even sandwiches with these to add some extra texture.
The salt and pepper are purely optional for this recipe. The wrappers themselves have a fantastic flavor by themselves.
The oil is up to you, as long as you use something that can take a higher temperature.
Please see recipe card below for exact measurements.
Step One - Cut the wonton wrappers into strips. You can work in small stacks. The width is up to you, I prefer a thinner strip, personally.
Step Two - Using a proper thermometor, you want the oil to be at least 300 F / 180 C.
Step Three - Start adding your strips to the oil, only do a small handful at a time, you do not want to overcrowd the pot.
Step Four - It should only take 1 to 1.5 minutes for these to brown. Using a slotted spoon, or metal tongs, remove the strips to a bowl with a towel to catch excess oil.
📖Substitutions & Variations
These wonton strips could definitely be made a few different ways!
- Add other seasonings besides salt and pepper - like garlic or onion powder or maybe try some chili powder and cumin for a delicious chili topping!
- Turn them into a dessert by sprinkling cinnamon and sugar on them! I'm just imagining these babies on some delicious vegan ice cream... yum!
🌡️How To Air Fry
These wonton strips crisp up beautifully in the *air fryer! Just sprinkle them into the pan, and air fry in 2 minute intervals. I know that seems intensive, but they can burn very easily! While I do prefer mine darker, you can see I got them quite crispy, hehe.
Be sure not to overcrowd the pan, just sprinkle a small handful.
Air fry in 2 minute intervals if you'd like them a bit lighter than this.
👩🏻🍳Cook's Top Tip
If you'd like to season your Air Fried wontons, just spray a bit of water on them and season quickly! If you'd like to try something else, you could use a spray oil as well.
You can store these in an airtight container on your counter. They will last for up to 3 months, if you can keep from eating them all right away!
Check out some other condiments and toppings!
If you try the recipe, don't forget to rate it and leave a comment! Thank you so much!
Crispy Fried Wonton Strips
- 1 large pot for oil frying
- 1 slotted spoon or tongs
- 1 large bowl
- 1 kitchen towel
- 1 package vegan wonton wrappers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups oil should cover at least 2 inches in pot
- You can go ahead and start heating up your oil as long as you can keep an eye on the temperature of it while you are working on cutting your strips.2 cups oil
- When cutting the strips, layer a bunch together and cut to the width you're going for. You can cut super thin strips, or super wide strips. They do not have to be perfect so do not worry about cutting exactly straight.1 package vegan wonton wrappers
- Your oil should reach at least 300 °F / 180 °C. Test the oil by adding one single strip and see how it does. If you're satisfied with the results, go ahead and add a loose handful into the pot. Do not over crowd.
- Be very careful when you first put some in, there is a moment of instant steam that releases from the pot when you drop the strips in so keep your face away from the pot.
- Using a slotted spoon or tongs, move the strips around to get them evenly fried. When you can see them starting to brown, start pulling them out and placing them in a towel lined bowl.
- Once you've gotten them all out of the oil, immediately sprinkle salt and pepper on the strips and give the bowl a gentle shake to get all of the strips seasoned. You can even move the towel around to manipulate them if needed.1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper
- Keep going until you've fried all of your strips.
Air Fryer Instructions
- Take a loose handful of strips and scatter them evenly in the air fryer basket. They do not all have to be touching the bottom.
- Place the basket into the fryer and fry at 400 °F / 200 °C in 2 minute intervals, shaking the strips around each time until you've reached the desired browning of the strips.
- If you wish to season these, you will need to spray either some water, or some oil on the strips and season right away.
- If you're looking for a gluten-free option, you could try breaking up spring rolls and frying them for a crunchy treat. I have not tried this yet, but I think I'm gonna...
- Add any seasonings you want to these, seriously, make them savory or sweet!
- Storage - Just keep in an airtight container for up to 3 months on your counter (if they don't get eaten by then.) You can also keep the wrappers frozen until you need them if you don't want to use the entire package.